Old January 17th 11, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default Need to upgrade an old GeForce 8500GT w/256ram

a1pcfixer wrote:
I'm needing to upgrade an old GeForce 8500GT w/256ram, which came stock
on a Gateway Desktop GM5632E, and running Vista Ultimate, on a 24" LCD
monitor.

I'm thinking the solder joints are starting to fail on this old one.
After being on a couple days, the display starts to disintergrate, then
BSOD's to needing a cool down & reboot. It's old, outdated & time to
go!

I'm an old gamer (Unreal Tournament & Quake) and sometimes run my R/C
flight sim (RealFlight 4.5 which likes 512MB vid RAM or more).

So, top of the line vid card really isn't needed, but I'd like one with
1GB RAM, no extra PS connector required, and similar sized to what it
came with would be good (about 6 3/4" Long x 4" deep). I have a little
room in length before running into things....say NO MORE than 9 1/2"
long.

Stock PS is rated as follows;
400W max
+5/+3.3 max 140W
+12v(1) and +12v(2) max 30A

NVidia has so many choices, I'm needing some suggestions.

So; 1GB-RAM, short card preferred, NO extra PS connector on card
needed, PCIe 16, NVidia ONLY (sorry, no ATI for me).

Suggestions please?

GT-220

According to this, it draws around 58W. The 8500 GT was around 40W.
But that's only if you believe the information here.

http://www.gpureview.com/videocards.php

A check of the power numbers here, shows the estimated power consumption
to be wildly optimistic. Measurements of a real card, yield 21W as
the peak power consumption of GT 220. In terms of your computer, that will be
coming from the 12V rail, and thus is a load of around 12V @ 2A, from the
motherboard slot connector.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...0_3.html#sect0

Based on the Xbitlabs chart, it looks like the GT 240 might meet
your requirement as well, of not needing an Aux connector for power.
This is an example of a GT 240 with GDDR5 RAM.

http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-GT-...-card-619.html

You can use the charts here, if you need some benchmarks. Your
old card and the new card, may not appear in the same chart,
so it'll take a bit of clicking, to get comparable numbers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts

Paul