Old July 9th 04, 08:52 AM
Ben Pope

rstlne wrote:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjI5LDE=

Now.. I am sure some of you may have seen it.. BUT
273fsb (how's he get that??)..

I'll try again... My previous post was a bit brief :-p

I am not up real big on this a64 stuff yet (and I dont see many questions
like this) so is it that the fsb of these new boards will go higher to
support later chips? ..
or am I just missing something..

Well, there are various factors that affect it, but essentially the new
process (with SOI) has more headroom than the old one, so the new processors
can be clocked higher.

Another one is that the "FSB" or more correctly, hypertransport link was
designed from the ground up to operate at frequencies higher than 200MHz. I
think the version 1 spec has clock rates to 1.4GHz, but I'm not sure if
thats practical.

I seem to have missed the 233, 266, and 300 fsb days being reach'd..

I think this confused me a bit last time I replied. I don't know of any x86
style processors that operate with a FSB above 200Mhz, officially. Many
Intels can be clocked to 250MHz, apparently, and the Bartons to 233 or so.

So how high will these boards go fsb wise.. OR since he was just pushing
the high fsb only to the CPU then is that why it could go so high..

Well, the link is still there between Northbridge and CPU, but I think it's
designed for higher frequencies (being hypertransport) than the old FSB.
Also, the memory is not clocked that high, it was at around 200MHz, which is
a shame.

Ben