Old July 4th 04, 03:22 PM
Pseudo Namen

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the replies. I was most interested in the one citing that
I must turn the memory speed down to 333MHz if three DIMMS are
installed. I wasn't aware of this. The 1GB works fine on it's own,
also it works fine with 1 other 512MB DIMM. The only thing that
doesn't work is all three DIMMS together! I have tried all three
locations for the 1GB DIMM and it makes no difference.

What do I loose by turning down thw memory speed, much? I just wanted
2GB of memory in my machine but didn't think it would prove so
challenging!

Thanks again for the responses.

This is a known issue with the 754 cpu's. Some motherboards can't run with
all three slots filled. Others can run if you make sure the memory speed is
set to either AUTO, or 166 which of course is 333mhz since the 166 is
doubled.

I mentioned the slot for the 1gb stick earlier because on my mobo, the
manufacturer states that it will only work with 1gb stick in first slot, and
512mb sticks in slots 2 and 3.

You may have to do without the 2nd stick of 512mb memory.

Oh, as I started to say earlier, the reason why you have to slow the speed
down is that the 754 cpu's use single channel memory, so the 3rd slot slows
the system down, and with some boards makes the system unstable.