Old February 24th 04, 09:50 PM
Chocolate

Default Is a faster Array Controller & disks worth it?

Hi, I have just got a couple of 2nd hand 1850R servers.
The 1999 documentation indicates that the backplane is Ultra2.

In one of the servers is a 221 controller, and in the other a 3200. These
are both Ultra2 cards. Both machines have 2x9 Ultra2 disks, which I'm happy
to keep.

My question is, is it worthwhile buying a faster controller for these
1850Rs, or is the backplane the bottleneck in these servers?

The reason I ask, is because the extra disks I will be buying are all the
lastest types, and I am prepared to spend money on these servers if it means
getting a faster disk system.