Old December 26th 03, 02:39 PM
NuT CrAcKeR

Hello Again,

Well... I am making progress. It turns out that the RA4000 has selective
publishing with firmware 2.60 (currently I have 2.48). I cant upgrade the
firmware because I am using emulex LP7000 HBA's. I am looking for a
supported compaq controller now. But i have proved that the emulex cards
work with these systems (just not for the ROM updates).

Data rates from a SA3200 attached to an F2 to an RA4000 was an average of
4M/sec (16.2G/hour), and from the RA to the F2 was about 1.8G/min (30M/s)
.... thats kinda odd. The 3200 is much better at writing than reading, and
the RA is much better at reading than writing. I tested with robocopy using
the /MIR switch.

Also, the 8 port FCAL switch can be configured to route between WWN's and
domains. I have my eye on a couple of those as well. As for configuration,
ACU 4.30 and higher can do it, so there arent any special config apps
required. Failover is another story, and something i probably wont pursue.

It also appears that the regular FC controllers from the RA series are not
compatable with the F/U series of storage systems. I took the beast apart,
and there is a notch in the card that bumps against a metal bar that was
deliberately put there by compaq. There are, however, FC upgrades for the
F/U chassis. These appear to be very rare and expensive when priced online.
Yet another option, as I have 2 F2's and 1 RA4000 (looking at other RA4x00
chassis as well. I still need one branded HBA in order to be able to
configure for selective publishing to individual controllers.... hey, sounds
like im rambling... probably. I feel a winter cold coming on.

Just thought i would share my findings with the group, in case anyone is
thinking about getting thier hands dirty with this stuff, since its so cheap
right now.

Cheers, and happy holidays.

LC

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
Hello boys and girls, Merry Christmas.

Does anyone have .iso or .nrg's of the complete management suite

(multi-path
and adapter loadbalancing/failover included) that would be used with

RA4x00
fibrechannel storage systems?

If so, please email me at:

info at dnsplus dot net