Old October 18th 03, 11:25 PM
Spam Buster

"Cubzilla" wrote in message
| Hiya all
|
| We are trying to install a 10K series Compaq/Hp cabinet to support an
| EVA5000 the cab has 2 PDU's is it ok to feed the 2 PDU's from separate
| phases or will this be a health & safety issue ie the potential difference
| across the 2 phases could reach 480 volts.
|

| any URL's to the info would be appreciated.

See
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/se...wercooling.pdf

Among others: page 8:
"HP recommends providing two 30-amp 208/230 single-phase circuits per rack.
Future high-density server environments may require up to two 50-amp
circuits per rack.
Although racks of equipment currently use single-phase power, it may be
necessary to switch to three-phase power or higher amperage as technology
changes. Customers should consider three-phase power when:
• the load exceeds 6 kVA
• a centrally-managed UPS solution is needed
• a single UPS solution to support the entire datacenter is warranted
Rack manufacturers provide wattage and BTU information in their product
specifications. For precise facilities planning, HP provides a ProLiant
Class, Rack/Site Installation Preparation Utility, accessible from the
Active Answers web page. This utility includes a Power Calculator for each
ProLiant server (Figure 7). ProLiant Power Calculators are macro-driven
Microsoft Excel spreadsheets developed for two purposes:
• to review server loading to determine the number of power supplies
required to provide redundant power supplies, and
• to approximate the electrical and heat load per server for facilities
planning."

etc etc