Old August 19th 03, 09:17 AM
Euc1id

"Euc1id" wrote in message
link.net...
: "Quaoar" wrote in message
: ...
: : Euc1id wrote:
: : When I drag & drop files with Windows Explorer (XP Home) on my new
: : Compaq S4200NX computer (just had it a few days), frequently they go
: : into the wrong folder. It's always one folder above or below the
: : intended folder on the screen. In one case when I dragged a group of
: : files, it transferred all except one of them, so I had to drag it a
: : second time. I'm also getting some very sluggish behaviour in Windows
: : Explorer. There aren't any permanent freezes, but frequently it hangs
: : for a long time just by clicking on a folder, perhaps for a minute or
: : so, usually with an hourglass or intermittent hourglass, but
: : occasionally without the hourglass. This slow response isn't limited
: : to Windows Explorer, although it's most noticable in Windows
: : Explorer. In one case Outlook Express hung for several minutes after
: : first opening it. Moral: have patience, I guess, and just wait...
: : (:
: :
: : Note: I first noticed this drag & drop problem after getting all of
: : the updates from Windows Update last night. I didn't notice it before
: : that. This box apparently came with software that's about a year old
: : and there were a LOT of updates! The security updates alone came to
: : 45 MB. Then there were a couple of drivers and a dozen XP updates,
: : and I selected almost all except the big .NET one.
: :
: : I'm guessing video/graphics driver problems. Guess I'll have to go
: : looking. Hope it's not an overclocked processor or motherboard
: : problem. Any suggestions how to narrow it down?
: : Euc1id
: :
: : Before anything try a cycle of maintenance, even if it is a new
: : computer: Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup.
: : Clean out everything but do not compress old files.
: :
: : Start/Run/type: msconfig/Startup Tab. Examine each file in the startup
: : list and disable everything that is not necessary for your use. Use
: : this site as a guide to the filenames:
: : http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#Select
: :
: : Lastly, from System Tools select Defragmenter. It might tell you that
: : you do not need to defrag; ignore it. It might take some time this
: : first time.
: :
: : Additionally, you can improve performance greatly by ridding the
: : computer of visual effects. Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced
: : Tab/Performance Settings Button. As a trial, select the Adjust for best
: : performance button. This will remove all of the visual effects but you
: : will then experience the performance improvements possible. I use
: : Custom with Smooth edges of screen fonts, common tasks in folders,
: : visual styles on windows and butttons. You can select what you like,
: : but will know the performance hit you can expect.
: :
: : Q
: :
:
: Thanks. That's useful. I was able to uncheck about half the boxes in
: msconfig/startup. Unfortunately Disk Cleaner does not work on my computer.
: let it run overnight but it made no apparent progress. Windows Task
Manager
: said it was still running some kind of process at 100% processor usage but
: with no end in sight. I suspect that problem may relate to compression
: (.zip) files, of which I have several big ones. Compression files are a
: known cause of slowdowns with XP in Windows Explorer, perhaps with Disk
: Cleaner too(?). I'll try it again after getting rid of all .zip files
: possible, although I use them routinely for backups to CD. Defrag works
OK.
: Check Disk would also be a very long runner on my box, perhaps 24 hours or
: more, and I haven't had the time or patience yet.
: E

FYI:
XP Disk Cleanup utility has a known bug:
812930 - Disk Cleanup Utility Stops Responding
which fixed it for me. It works OK now.
Euc1id