Old August 25th 03, 01:32 PM
Pete

Default GA7-NNXP - Is it possible to use all four mem slots??

There was a review of the GA7-NNXP in the current issue of Micromart
magazine, here in the UK. Although their reviews cannot easily be
described as "in-depth", one paragraph did happen to catch my eye as I am
seriously considering spending my hard earned money on a NNXP.

open quote
Having a fourth memory slot is only worthwhile if you can increase the
quantity of installed memory. As PC2700 and PC3200 modules are only
economically available in 256MB and 512MB sizes, and the 7NNXP supports up
to 3GB, we wanted to see Windows XP running on 2GB RAM. We sourced 2GB
Crucial PC2700 memory and 2GB Corsair PC3200 memory, but try as we might,
the Gigabyte wouldn’t support 2GB of memory. Although the manual states
that four dual sided modules can be used (i.e. eight banks of memory) it
seems that the real limit is six banks, which is three modules. That’s a
shame as the 7NNXP had been doing so well up to that point. We hope that a
bios update will allow all four memory slots to work correctly, but until
then this is a very expensive motherboard that fails to do the one thing
that would set it apart from the competition.
close quote

Is there anyone out there who would care to please offer an opinion on the
points raised?

Many thanks for any help that you all care to offer.

Pete