Old July 18th 19, 06:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Default Scrapping mid & large-tower cases?

On 18/07/2019 11:16 AM, Paul wrote:
Peter Jason wrote:
Due to unreliability problems I'm scrapping my old units & going over
to Barebones computers.Â* I have one already operating with an M2 drive
& a 500GB SSD. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-kits/nuc.html

Is there any fundamental problem with these small units?Â*Â* Are the
classical tower machines any better?

Most people would judge these things on price.

If you got a 4C 8T processor in a desktop
or a 4C 8T in a NUC, which costs more ?

I like my desktops, because I can plug
cards into them and add interfaces. The
trick is selecting just the right card.

For example, for a long time, add-on USB3
was always a hair short of "full performance".
There is one chip out today, with a PCI Express
x2 interface, that improves on the older PCI3
x1 cards, and finally, it is able to match
Southbridge USB3.

What chip is that Paul? I've been very disappointed with the various USB3 expansion cards I've
tried. While my PC doesn't have a PCIe x2 (or a PCIe x4) slot it does have a spare PCIe gen3 x16.
(It has native USB3 but you can never have too many fast USB ports for external HDDs.)

Cheers.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Some day, a Thunderbolt host will be offered that
way, not that anyone will care at that point.
Thunderbolt peripherals are too expensive.

Paul