Old July 20th 04, 10:04 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:33:29 -0400, ZigZag Master wrote:

I have a Maxtor 200GB (6Y200P0) and a Western Digital 250GB WD2500JB in a
AMD 2500 / Abit NF7-S - 1GB RAM. I am running Windows XP Pro.

I was wondering how long it should take to copy large files between the
drives.

I have some TV captures that are about 8-12GB. It just seems like it takes
a long time to copy from drive to drive....about 6-8 minutes. Is this
normal?

Also, do I have to do anything special to turn on DMA mode? I think I was
using Pinnacle Studio, and it popped up a window saying DMA mode was not
enabled on the Maxtor.

For best performance, make sure the 2 drives are not on the same channel
(cable). If they are on the same channel, this will be a major
slowdown, as each channel can only perform 1 IO fubction at a time. So
it will have to read to ram, then write back out to the same channel.
Using 2 channels (cables), both will happen at the same time. Then make
sure you have them set to the fastest settings they support. I use hdparm
to check/set mine, but I run linux. Not sure where you set/check drive
modes in win.