Old August 13th 07, 10:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

Default How to Trigger USB PnP connection?

On 12 Aug 2007 22:35:58 GMT, "
wrote:

Jethro wrote:

I have an external hard drive connected via USB. It is supposed to
automatically be picked up by the computer's XP PRO SP2 when I turn it
on. Sometimes it is, sometimes not. Many times I have to unplug the
drive and plug it up again to get the computer's PnP to detect it. I
wonder why XP is missing its presence? It is getting tiring to do all
the connects/disconnects.

Anyone?

Jethro

besides the great response by mist, i would add that you can
unplug/plug at the usb end or the AC end. You flick the on/off switch
at the AC end.

you say it's tiring. so maybe try that other way!

Also, could try differnet usb ports of course. But that's just an easy
part of the larger troubleshooting thing that mist mentioned.

I had almost forgotton the word 'intermittent'.. It's not that
intermittent in such a bad way though, in that you aren't waiting
around for ages.. You don't have to 'keep an eye on it for a long time
and see if the problem persists' (a common instruction to an end user
when an intermittent problem). For you though it's Just a matter of
plugging it in and out, and you'll see the problem. I don't think
there's much you can do excep try diff usb ports, even a diff drive. In
the end most likely you'r going to have to not use something. hopefully
a usb port rather than a drive. Maybe you'll end up labelling a PSU
dodgy in that area. And that's if you get it solved.

I moved the USB connection on the computer to a second computer. It
seems to work some better there, but still is intermittent. I have
already tried switching USB ports with same results. I have already
tried unplugging USB plug and power plug on the external case (yes my
internal drive is in a external case) itself which almost always
works first time.

Thanks for response

Jethro