Old January 6th 05, 04:17 AM
Jan Alter

Hi,

From your description I'm assuming you want to retrieve those files. I'll
conjecture that the drive is formatted as FAT 16 and perhaps XP (I'm also
thinking you're running that OS) is having trouble reading the file system
for whatever reason. Anyhow, if you can get hold of a startup disk for Win98
you can start the computer with that disk as your OS and I'm guessing you
will be able to read the the Maxtor as drive D: To get a startup disk try
goiong to bootdisk.com

An alternative to this scenario is to simply disconnect your main XP drive
and connect the maxtor as your only drive and see if it starts (DOS 6, 5 ?).
You may not be able to load Windows but if you hit the F8 key you should be
able to get to a DOS prompt and view the files from there, if there's
anything to view.

The last thought is that XP may be reading the drive correctly and those
files may not be there. Have you attempted to copy a file onto that drive
and see if you can read it?

--
Jan Alter

or

"Zip" wrote in message ...
I recently installed an old Maxtor 7120AT into my AMD 2800+ machine running
Win XP. The machine correctly identifies the Maxtor drive as a slave, and
mounts it on the file system as drive F:. The control panel reports this
device as a "Maxtor 7120 AT". When I open the F drive in Windows, the drive
is reported as having a capacity of 123 MB (correct), 8 MB free (seems
correct) and FAT (it was running Windows 3.11). However, no files can be
found on the drive when exploring from Windows. The directory of F: from
the command line:

F:\dir
Volume in drive F has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 1D91-5DCC

Directory of F:\

05/31/1994 06:22 AM 54,645 COMMAND.COM
1 File(s) 54,645 bytes
0 Dir(s) 8,513,536 bytes free

Any ideas as to what I can do to troubleshoot this? I'd like to think that
someone on this drive there are over 100 MB of files to find, other than
command.com

Thanks.