Old November 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
kony

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:45:02 +0100, "Glitch"
wrote:

"Humpty" wrote in message
1) Does a graphics card with built in capture device exist?
2) Is it worth purchasing?
3)And finally will I get a better result with a stand alone device for
example Dazzle etc?

Yes,such cards exist are there some excelent examples out there.Take for
exampple ATIs line of cards All-In-Wonder.Almost every ATIs GPU has an
All-In-Wonder version(from the low-end 9200 to the high-end X800).My choice
with the All-In-Wonder series would be the 9800 PRO(256MB) All-In-Wonder.

Excellent? An All-In-Wonder is about the worst product
possible. The ATI software is buggy and unsupported by most
3rd party apps. You're locked into the video card and lose
the video in/out/tuner functionality when the card is
replaced.

Note that AIW also costs disproportionately more, and that
OP doesn't need a tuner at all. Many video cards have
"VIVO" functionality which is all that's needed, or a
relatively cheap PCI capture card with S-Video in is also a
better choice if it comes with usable software.

External boxes are not a good choice unless:

- No editing is desired

- Output format will ALWAYS be MPEG2 (see supported format
for product, it must compress before transferring over USB).

- System has unused USB2 port, not USB1
- It is absolutely impossible to make a PCI slot available
for an internal card instead, and video quality or
versatility is not important.