Old September 24th 03, 09:32 AM
Trevor Marsh

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
Now. at last, the questions; I have to make my mind up whether
go with the 9600 pro (the "full" one, not the EZ) or a FX5600 Ultra.
My experience with the FX5600 non-ultra has made me wary of Nvidia
latest chipsets and after seeing the difference in Planetside with
just the "EZ" version of the 9600 Pro I am leaning towards the 9600
Pro. However, with Doom III and HL2 in mind, am I being
short-sighted? I realise this is an ATI NG, but that is where the
experienced ATI users will be, so, FX5600 Ultra or 9600 Pro? Please,
advice as impartial as possible.

Think the 9600 Pro and 5600 Ultra (rev2) is about par on older games witha
slight edge to 5600 Ultra (Higher memory bandwidth), but when it comes to
newer games (especially as you mentioned coming DX9 games) it seems that

the
Radeon cards leave the Nvidia ones in the dust.. So I'd say, go for the

full
9600 Pro (Something like Sapphire or PowerColor).

Best Wishes
Thomas

Thanks for the replies. I'll think I'll go with my "gut feeling" and
Thomas's advice and get the full 9600 Pro. After further reading it would
appear that even the FX Ultra's struggle with DX9 games unless a special
"path" is written in the game to help them. Looks like Nvidia really
"dropped the ball" with the FX chips.

Trev