Old November 1st 03, 06:34 PM
Rosie

In message , Graham
Appleton writes
Sounds a good idea to me to reinstall XP but without SP1. I installed
SP1 almost as soon as i put XP on the computer, and stupidly didn't
allow it to save files for uninstall. I'm going to put off a complete
reinstall as my comp is now set up perfectly about from this (quite
major) problem.

I thought I would re-instal SP1 because the version I have of udfs.sys
is different to the version shown he
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
and I wondered if the SP1 version didn't instal correctly.
However, I now find I've lost the magazine disc of SP1 so I need to find
another copy!
Like you, having only recently done a fresh instal and as my system is
fine (apart from the DVD read failure) I'm reluctant to do anything
major.
Please advise if you have any more thoughts!
Regards.

Rosie wrote in message
In message , Graham
Appleton writes
I have tried with the IMAPI service on Automatic and no manual and on
disabled, witht the same results every time. My chipset is SIS and I
have tried upgrading the IDE controllers with no luck. I have only
tried both PIO and DMA modes, with the same problems each time.

Hi Graham. I'm still struggling with this. I have an Abit KT7a so I
installed the VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers but they made no difference.
As I re-installed XPHome _and_ SP1 using a slipstreamed CD, I'm thinking
of installing SP1 again by itself this time. Don't know if that is a
good plan or not!
I've had no response to my query about udfs.sys and I can't trace a
source on the net (apart from MS).

--
gillie