Old November 29th 03, 05:21 AM
lucy

it sounds like you're already off to a good start troubleshooting
this, most likely it's the motherboard or power supply. If you have a
voltage meter you might check the power supply voltage levels while
it's in the on-but-no-POST state.

Examine the motherboard for signs of failed capacitors, domed or
vented tops, signs of leaking or residue.

Have there been any major storms recently, perhaps a power surge?

Next unplug the power supply from AC for a few minutes and open it,
inspect it. Did you confirm that it's fan was spinning during
troubleshooting previously? What make/model/capacity is it?

Has anything in the system changed recently, or has it been moved
prior to onset of problems?

Does it smell like burnt popcorn, especially in the power supply?

Dave

You nailed it on the head, Dave! I found 4 capacitors that the top was burst
and the innerds were coming out!

It's Saturday here, so I have to wait until Monday to take it to the shop and
get it repaired - fortunately it's under warranty.

Thanks again!

-Lucy