Old August 10th 04, 01:18 PM
Andy in NJ

Paul Murphy wrote:
Possibly the DDR 333 memory may be having troubles with the 100 MHz
system bus (memory isn't always completely backwards compatible,
especially when at more than one "step" back). As you quite rightly
point out to the other poster trying to assist, you won't be able to
run any memory diagnostics on this machine until you can at least get
it to POST and boot first. Some CPUs don't like a 133 MHz bus speed -
is the CPU designed to run at this bus speed - if not, thats why it
wont boot at this speed. The 16C on the label would indicate the
memory is indeed non-ECC (ecc memory has a couple of extra bits for
parity), so the other thing which may have something to do with it is
whether the memory is registered - perhaps the mobo doesn't like
whatever type you have in that regard. For example the Tyan
Motherboard I use on one of my machines will only accept registered
memory, in terms of whether its ECC or non-ECC, that doesn't matter
as it will accept both types in this regard. Does the memory supplier
have any DDR 266 (PC2100) non registered, non-ECC modules you could
use instead - I doubt the supplied modules are defective (although it
does happen), more likely just incompatible with this setup.

Paul

Thanks for the reply, Paul. My CPU is an AMD Duron 1.2gig. I tried to find a
tech support website for the motherboard, but couldn't find one. Do you know
how any way in which I could find out if my motherboard will only accept
registered memory (what exactly is registered/unregistered memory, anyway?)?