Old January 15th 05, 07:00 PM
Steve

"fsda" wrote in message
Larry Gagnon wrote in
news
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:10:49 +0000, fsda wrote:

I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU utilization
of the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia Firewall
(ActiveArmor). This motherboard came bundled with a copy of Norton
Internet Security 2004.

I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of
Norton Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.

My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton
LiveUpdate feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way to
give it permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall
setings allowing the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the
trick. And, the Nvidia Firewall never pops up to tell me anything is
wrong..

Anyone else have this problem?

IMHO I would uninstall Norton stuff. That is one of the most invasive,
power hungry pieces of software ever written. Its many features
require that large parts of it be constantly loaded, taking up
resources, and the default update settings are way to frequent. On
anything but a new powerful computer Norton System Works and their
other products can significantly slow down your machine.

If I were you I would use AVG for Anti-Virus and AdAware for spyware
and chuck Norton. The former two are much less invasive and yet, as
powerful.

On the other hand if you want a machine that is secure without having
to ad all that extra software crap you should switch to Linux - at
which point you would be very unlucky to ever get another virus or
piece of spyware on your computer.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

OK, I'm not that desparate - i.e. going to Linux. But I'm open to
considering something other than Norton, given how flaky it is on my
system.

What about Anti-Spam for email?

Basically I want Anti-virus, anti-spyware (although I don't understand
how this is different than a firewall), and anti-email-spam software.

For anti-spyware try spybot 1.3 (it's free software)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...?tag=lst-0-2or http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.htmlMicrosoft has released a free anti-spyware (it's a beta software, and alsofree)http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../default.mspxI have used this beta software on many computers no problems.The core of this program is by Giant Anti-Spyware,Microsoft recently bought our Giant Anti-SpywareSpyware.Linux Operating Systems have Security problems tohttp://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletinsByType/vndr_linux_bulletins.htmlLinux just has less Security Holes than most Microsoft Operating Systems.Steve