Old December 10th 03, 04:13 PM
Robert B. Clark

On 10 Dec 2003 12:58:11 GMT, mmyy (Simon) wrote:

I am in the process of building my first two machines at the same time. I am
planning to build afresh but reuse an two old cases and PSU's. I have found
that my ATX AOpen AMD motherboards I purcahsed (to go with the AMD 2500 and
2600 processors I got) dont physically fit the cases, and one of the PSU's
doesnt fit into the motherbaord connector either (wrong connector at the end)
Am I doing something wrong as the cases I am reusing are not that old (around
late 1999) didnt think building of motherbaords would change so much in that
time. And do I just need an adapter for the PSU or is it a bin job.

You need an ATX case and PSU.

You don't say what your old computers were, but in 1999 AT cases and power
supplies were still fairly common.

By the way can someone clear this up.....why are some PSU's a different wattage
to others. I want to run the usual plus two hard drives and a DVD ROM I wouldnt
need an uprated PSU for this surely. Also with themral compuind do you only get

Besides total wattage, you need to be concerned with the capacity of the
individual rails. You'll likely be most concerned with the size of the
+12V and +5V rails.

See
http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/ for more information.

I doubt your total wattage will exceed 300W; just make sure you've adequate
+12V and +5V supplies.

enough appliacation in the syringes for one CPU/Heatsink or will I be able to
squeeze two out of it.

A typical 3.5g tube of thermal compound should be enough for at least a few
dozen applications. You only need about as much as a half-grain of rice
per application.

--
Robert B. Clark (email ROT13'ed)
Visit ClarkWehyr Enterprises On-Line at http://www.3clarks.com/ClarkWehyr/