Old February 6th 04, 07:21 PM
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Steven Campbell
writes

I had the original CPU cooler on it then changed to Coolermaster then
changed to the Thermaltake SilentBoost. The SilentBoost is rated up to XP
3400 and has got excellent write ups everywhere I've looked. I'd gladly
change it again if there was a cooler that would do the job but I honestly
think the one that is on it just now is ok. What is concerning me most is
that the temps have been gradually getting worse.

Check you've got it on the CPU the right way around. Heatsinks for AMD
chips have a "step" in them which has to be aligned with the raised
portion of the socket. If this is not done, only partial contact
between the heatsink and the CPU die results.

Your Tbird 1400 is noted for being one of the hotter AMD chips; still,
any decent heatsink for recent AMDs should be capable of keeping it cool
enough.

Can the Arctic Silver
deteriorate that quickly (8 months).

Not in my experience; it stays fairly fluid over time, unlike the
cheaper white thermal greases which tend to dry out. I think this is
one of the reasons why you pay the premium for AS.

--
A. Top posters.