Old January 28th 05, 09:57 AM
ofn01

"NightSky 421" wrote in message
"ofn01" wrote in message
I have seen numerous posts about this, but I just wanted to see if I was
right in diagnosing this issue
My specs are listed at the bottom of this post.

In Doom3 (the demo), I get little 'pauses' quite often, more so when
opening doors etc but also just when moving along with no real change
(that I can percieve). In Half Life 2 (full game) I was getting the same
thing, but these reduced quite a bit when I changed the sound from 5.1 to
2 speaker and from High to Medium.

When I first got my paws on the Far Cry demo a number of months ago, I was
getting fairly frequently split-second pauses during gameplay. No other
game prior to that gave me any such trouble. After doing some routine
troubleshooting and ruling things out, it turned out that my Hercules
Fortissimo III sound card was to blame. I happened to have an old SB Live
Value sound card laying around and swapped out the Fortissimo III for it.
Despite the fact that the drivers for the Live were older than the
Fortissimo III, the problem I had with the split-second gameplay pauses
totally disappeared when I switched to the Live sound card. I've since
switched to an SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, which also does not have the
problem.

So you never know, it could be the sound card that is giving your trouble.
Even if you do get a sound card, I would still seriously consider buying
an extra 256MB or 512MB RAM for your computer.

Cheers for that!
I am looking at the Audigy 2 Value edition which I think could solve the
problem.