Old July 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
kony

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:29:07 GMT, "Kevin Altizer"
wrote:

Computer: Compaq k6 amd 533 mhz 128 ram win98se
Printer: Lexmark X1150 All -in- One

I bought the printer, it worked fine for several months. Got a virus,
restored my machine, which I've done several times. I've updated the BIOS
ROM, updated the USB drivers, ran scanreg / fix and fixed registry. The
computer does not see the printer. I tested the printer and cable on
another machine, worked fine.

You mention several changes but not at which point the printer
stopped working. It isn't a good idea to mske so many changes of
system without checking for proper function in-between each.

For starter, try enabling legacy USB support in the BIOS... might
be attached to a setting for keyboard or mouse or worded
differently, but usually "legacy" is part of the wording.

When I power the printer up, plug in the usb cable, I get an extra usb hub
listed in device mgr. under usb controllers.

If printer has aux functions like card reader or another port,
that may be a correct detection.

I already have four there, two
USB Root Hubs and two VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB hubs. The extra one that
comes up when the printer is plugged in is a Generic USB Hub. I've tried
right-clicking this and updating the driver with the lexmark cd, didn't
help.

Did it have an exclaimation mark next to it?
There is little point to trying to force a driver, you may be
making things worse. Super 7 chipsets like that used in your
Compaq are prone to more incompatibilities to being with, be sure
that if you try a setting and it doens't work, that you revert
back to how it was previously.

I've tried add printer from control panel.

Won't work, don't try that. The printer is a virtual device
enabled by it's driver, there is no "printer" you can add
manually to resolve this.

When you unplug and replug printer in different USB port, what is
detected?

When trying that way, I
get to the port dialog box and it shows an online printer port, a print to
file entry, and the LPT1 printer port, and also the COM1 port, but no USB
port.

Not relevant, you could get that far with no printer at all
attached. Forget about this type of attempt to add printer
manually.

I've done the live chat thing with compaq with about five different
people. They've given up. The person that has a positive solution for this
printer/computer problem deserves a silver star medal.

Try the legacy usb bios setting I mentioned and if all else fails
revert back to older bios, same configuration under which it
worked previously, keep it in that config until it works again
then only update system one change at a time, rechecking printer
after each.

I'm assuming you also installed the motherboard chipset drivers,
as new a version as possible (which probably won't be found from
Compaq but rather the chipset manufacturer's website). Although,
this is a step to try on system as it sits, ultimately if you
revent system back to old drivers and bios etc, you should use
same old chipset driver that prevously worked before trying new
chipset driver.

Also try disabling "Error detection" on the usb controller's
properties page in Device Manager.