Old March 24th 13, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Monty[_3_]

Default BIOS Update ?

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:30:43 -0700, croy
wrote:

Hello Croy,

When I look at the web site for your board I see there are 3 revision
levels:

GA-M55plus-S3G
GA-M55plus-S3G (rev. 2.1)
GA-M55plus-S3G (rev. 3.0)

The labels above are from the cover page of the user's manual.

If you don't have a user's manual handy then you can determine the
revision level of the mainboard by looking immediately to the left of
the HDD connector in the bottom corner.

It will be "blank" for rev 1.0 boards, else "2.1" or "3.0".

The reason for mentioning this is that the numbering system for the
bios is not quite as clear as we might hope. For example:

Rev 1.0 bios range is F1 - F14 (F15B is beta)
Rev 2.1 bios range is FA - FH (FIB is beta)
Rev 3.0 bios range is F1 - F7 (F9A I presume is beta).

The F1 - F7 bioses for Rev 3.0 are not the same as the Rev 1.0 bioses.

So firstly, we need to know the revision level of your motherboard.

CHeers,

Mainboard: GA-M55plus-S3G

When I boot my computer, the first screen of the BIOS
claims: "Award v6.00PG".

On the website for this board, I see BIOS revisions up thru
F15B. I assume the "B" is for beta, but there is no mention
of this on the page.

I've been trying to update to the F14 version using @BIOS,
but it seems to be looking for a .bin file, not a .exe or a
.F14.

I made a boot floppy and put flash895.exe, autoexec.bat, and
m55s3g10.f14 on it and rebooted. A screen came up that
seemed to have the .f14 file pre-entered. I hit enter a
couple of times, and it appeared that the floppy was being
read. I exited out and rebooted the machine, but the Award
page still reads v6.00PG.

Can somebody point me to good instructions on how to update
this BIOS?