Old November 3rd 03, 12:21 AM
Sierras

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:38:14 -0500, (Paul) wrote:

In article , Sierras
wrote:

Hello,

My computer has the audio jack working from the front connector only.
I get no audio from the back connector jack.

How can I change this configuration so that I get audio from the rear
jack instead of the front jack. I use amplified speakers which have a
headset jack already. Running the speaker cable to the front of the
computer is a pain. Please help!!

Thanks

With the case audio cable disconnected and the two jumpers put back
on the header, you'll get sound from the rear connector.

If your case has an "Intel Compatible" audio cable, both the front and
the back will work. Plugging a headset into the front, mutes the rear
connector. If you buy an Asus J-Panel, that is a product that
sits in a drive bay, and it has an Intel Compatible audio cable as well.
In that case you would disconnect the case cable and use the J-Panel
instead.

In your current situation, you have two options. With the two jumpers
missing and your case audio connected, you'll only get audio on the
front connector.

If you can find a way of doing the same thing the jumpers do, while
the case audio cable remains in place, then you can have sound on
both front and back simultaneously. This can be done by winding a single
strand of copper wire from a power cord, around a pair of pins normally
jumpered (you'll need a separate strand for each pair of pins). A second
way of doing this, is to solder a jumper wire to the back of the
motherboard. You have to be careful when doing this, that you don't
come in contact with the +5V pin on the header.

HTH,
Paul

Thanks,

I am really not that knowledgeable about the internal parts of a
computer. So I won't even attempt to do any kind of soldering or
winding wires around pins. But the first suggestion you made seems
easy enough for even me to attempt. However, I don't know what the
'header' is when you suggest to disconnect the two jumpers and put
them bak on the header. Could you explain a little more in how to go
about doing this or what to look for?

Thanks..