Old October 18th 03, 05:51 AM
Robert Hancock

Probably the same deal as the Lite-On SMART-X feature. The drive does not
wait to figure out the correct read speed before it can start reading data,
it just starts reading data and adjusts the disc speed based on how fast the
software is reading.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

wrote in message ...
Hi,

I was wondering if the "Built-in AI Auto Speed Adjustment" feature of
DVD-ROM drives like the "Asus DVD-ROM drive 16x/48x" can hamper the
playback of avi files from cdrom (esp. those encoded with DivX which has
higher requirements I believe). What I mean, won't you get some latency
every time you start playing a DivX avi file from cdrom cause the drive
will always calculate the needed speed first, so couldn't this give
latency everytime you start playing an avi file from cdrom?

And what about installed games that only need to access the drive from
time to time, but every time the drive will be accessed the Built-in AI
Auto Speed Adjustment feature will always first re-initiate calculating
the needed speed again which could give latency, isn't that so?

PS: anybody who has the "Asus DVD-ROM drive 16x/48x" by any chance and
can tell from experience?!!..

Thanks in advance for all good feedback!

Mike.