Old January 16th 05, 01:05 AM
Michael Brown

Danny wrote:
[...]
On boot-up when I go into the BIOS it's showing the old CPUID which is
Cyrex 6X86. Although when first installed it did show the K6-2 and the
relevant settings. On the memory test at boot-up it shows as the K6 as
well as in windows sys/info it shows also shows as K6-2. It's just in
the BIOS CPUID that the K6 and its settings seem to have got lost!
Any ideas on a solution?

I don't think it matters too much if it shows the wrong name in the BIOS
setup screen (as long as it displays the correct name during POST), but you
could always try wiping the CMOS or updating the BIOS.

It does seem to run a little slower than I would have expected in
windows, about the same as the old Cyrex did, although the test I've
done in DOS show good results from the K6-2. So I'm hoping that
finding the solution to this will help me to fix that.

I had/have a K6-2/400 on a Jetway 530BF, which is based on the same chipset.
One thing you'll want to do (if you haven't already done it) is grab the SiS
IDE driver from the Jetway site:
http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/downl...ndex-2.htm#530
Otherwise the drives run in PIO mode (=slows down the whole system big
time).

You may also want to check out this page:
http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q39...wto/cache.html
with regard to whether you've got too much RAM in your system or not.

[...]
I've not done as yet a full reinstall of windows as the CD may have
been used as a coaster too many times over the past few years and I
remember, because of scratches, some of the cabs are corrupt!

I'm sure there's a few sites on the web with *cough* backups of the Win98
CABs if you need them

[...]

--
Michael Brown