Old September 27th 10, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GMAN[_13_]

Default why catalyst control center did not offer me software crossfire option / what is the requirement of software crossfire

In article , "First of One" wrote:
"Zhang Weiwu" wrote in message
On 2010?09?22? 20:41, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
It can happen that although both cards have a sticker of X1650 one might
be actually is X1600.

For this I have 2 other notes.

1. One card is labeled "X1650GT 256HM DDR3", the other is labeled
"X1650 256HM DDR3". These sticker-labels are from the vendor
instead of from resellers thus more reliable.

The X1650GT and X1650_ are not official ATI models. Googling for them turned
up the following specs:

Nonesense, I own a retail boxed X1650 ATI card.

Not a rebadged unit.

The X1650GT was a slower-clocked X1650XT, so it used the RV560 core with 8
texture units, 24 pixel shaders and DDR3 memory at 600 MHz.

The X1650_ was a renamed X1600 Pro, so it used the RV535 core with 4 texture
units, 12 pixel shaders and DDR2 memory at 400 MHz. It's probably why the
card shows up in CCC as "X1600 Series".

Thus, X1650GT and X1650_ are in fact very different cards. Even if you coax
them into working in Crossfire, the performance gain over the single X1650GT
may be trivial. Two common Crossfire algorithms, AFR and supertiling, are
limited by the slower card.

2. I am pretty sure both board have identical circuit board, because
even the smallest capacitors on them are located in exactly the
same place, although I could not be sure the chip being the same,
because they are beneath the fans. I am confident that any
consumer (means non-professional) would think they are the same card.

One has an external power connector while the other one doesn't, right?