Old May 7th 11, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Leachim Sredna

Default My troublesome P5W DH De Luxe boards

Hi Group,

I was running one of these boards for a year or so some months back, but
started getting various strange problems ( I admit I had been overclocking
it a bit, and it was always a tricky board).
The last problem I recall appeared to be the floppy controller failing, but
I couln't pin that down definitely, as I might have got the power connector
the wrong way round (I am always doing that on my floppy drives).
I tried changing the PSU for a brand new Corsair 650 W job but the system
finally failed entirely, I think. So I left it for some months, after
resurrecting some even older systems for basic daily use (a reliable old
Dell and an even older HP - I don't do much more than email and a bit of
surfing these days).

But that dead ASUS system was bothering me. Not to mention a lot of data on
the hard drives that I would like to access or recover. So I got another P5W
DH board secondhand, and a second processor, thinking I could salvage the
Win XP installation and data files on the OS hard drive and the second hard
drive (no Raids - they drove me crazy). Built it all into the case, and....
nothing. Power light comes on on the board, CPU and video card fans both
spin up, but can't get into BIOS and see no video.

I've since tried running both the older (revision 1.03) and the newer
(revision 1.04) board with both the newer (E6850) and the older (E6750)
processors outside the case, with just the one hard drive with OS (I trust)
on Sata 1 port, and an optical drive on Sata 3 with the installation CD in
it ready to boot from there if need be, and a Sapphire Radeon 2600XT on the
first PCI EX16 slot, but get no luck still. The fans spin up, the Ram leds
light up, but I don't get as far as seeing the BIOS and any video.

Any suggestions or advice as to what to try now (apart from trashing the
lot)? Seems a pity not to salvage at least something workable from all this
junk. I cleared the BIOS jumper-wise on the newer board, thinking that I
should start with default setting there.
Of course both boards may be dead now, and both CPUs too. And I suppose the
video card may too be suspect now. Is there any obvious next step without
further purchase of dodgy components, please ?

Leachim Sredna