Old September 26th 03, 12:00 AM
Paul Richard

Default Can't install any OS (hardware fault?)

Hi,

I've just bought the components to a new PC and am having problems. Here is
a rundown of the hardwa

- Abit VI7 Mobo (KT800, VT8237 chipset)
- Celeron 2.2 GHz (Northwood core)
- 512 MB memory (Corsair Value)
- Maxtor 80GB ATA-133 HDD
- Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW
- Enermax 350W EG365P-VE FMA PSU

Also, I recently updated the BIOS to version 1.2 off the Abit website.

Everything boots up fine and I get the machine to boot of the CD. In the
most recent attempt I booted off a Windows XP CD. The installation starts
out fine enough. I get through the initial questions, it asks about the
partitions and I format the drive, etc (oh yeah, I partitionned the disk and
am using the first 20GB to install). Usually around this point is where it
blue screens. In some instances I get further along the process than others,
but eventually I always bluescreen. This last time around the Windows
message looked like this:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If
this is a new installation,ask your hardware or software manufacturer for
any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you
need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your
computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe
Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC14EC3F8,0x00000000,0xC14EC3F8,0x00000000)

The blue screen is generally the same except that the "PAGE_FAULT..." bit
can differ and I've also had driver names appear towards the bottom (in the
technical information section; e.g. atapi.sys; dio.sys or something like
that).

Now I've also tried booting up a Debian 3.0 install CD and mostly always run
into a Kernel panic with a message suggesting that I use the init= option at
the boot prompt. Looks like it can't locate the kernel on the CD. In some
other cases, the screen fills up with rubish. Always seem to happen around
the same point too.

In some other cases, I've tried booting to Win98 DOS (off a floppy) with the
atapi driver installed and just tested copying a bunch of files from the
CDRW to the HDD. In one case, the system locked during the copy.

I even tried swapping my CDRW drive for my old 4x Toshiba CD-Rom (which I
now to be working fine in my old Pentium system) and get pretty much the
same type of results.

Given the randomness of it all, I'm thinking hardware fault on the Mobo but
I'd sure like to hear different. Any gurus out there that could lend a
hand? Could this be anything other than the Mobo?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Paul