Old December 15th 04, 09:11 PM
Clob

As for PCI-E. Performance is higher than any AGP. PCI-E is the new
standard.

"Clob" wrote in message
Ahh I see. That is a bit different. The two cards have their highs and
lows in areas. Look for some benchmarks on carious platforms.

"Richard Morey" wrote in message
Hi --

Thank you for your feedback.. There seems to be many flavors of the two
video cards you mentioned (Nvidia Quadro and ATI Fire GL).. Do you know
the specific model / versions of these cards you had in mind?

Also, I meant to ask about PCI Express cards versus AGP, not plain PCI..
Sorry..

Thanks again,

Rich

"Clob" wrote in message

"Richard Morey" wrote in message
Hi --

I have decided it is time to upgrade my older AGP video card and I am
looking for advice. I currently have a P-III system witn an Intel board
and I think the AGP slot is 1x or possibly 2x.

If the slot is 1x, then you may run into a voltage problem with newcards
that require 4x and up. I'm not sure on this one though.

I am also planning to get a flat screen monitor, but I'm thinking about
eventually getting a second flat screen as I want to slowly upgrade my
machine (new mother board / cpu, etc.)

Sounds good when you get a motherboard that will run the card that comes
with the dual monitor out.

My question is -- should I get a single high end video card with dual
monitor outs, or two seperate video cards? And if I opt for 2 video
cards, should I get 1 AGP card (its seems no mother boards have more
than 1 AGP slot) and 1 PCI card, or 2 PCI cards? Should I get 2 of the
same cards?

PCI will give you extremely poor performance. There are cards out there
for PCI connections, but they are not that great and I do not think they
have the required DVI outputs. A converter may be required. But the
conversion from analouge to digital can reduce clarity on the flat
pannel monitor. I am assuming by you saying "flat screen" you mean flat
pannel.

I am begining to get into video editting -- currently using Adobe
Premiere Elements -- but I'd like to eventually move up to Adobe
Premiere Pro and I'm also interesting in learning about 3D modeling and
so I'd like to get a vidoe card or cards that will be good for 3D
modeling as well.

Nvidia Quadro and ATI Fire GL are serious cards for this type work. I
have no experence in this field. Maybe some one here can go further into
detail. The cards are VERY expencive.

Thanks,

Rich