Old September 14th 04, 03:21 AM
bah humbug

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:58:42 +0100, "888"
wrote:

"The Chief" wrote in message
. ..
888 wrote:
Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick
with IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives
would there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA
66 and the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has been
approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't seen
any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
work in each system.

What MB did you go with?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Got the MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard

SATA seems to be the future. So will go for it.

I heard SATA won't boot up with Windows installed on it? Hmmm

My motherboard's got SATA on the south bridge, but I passed on it.
The only SATA drive worthwhile is the 10K rpm raptor and not because
of the SATA interface.

SATA right now is still a pipedream. You buy a SATA drive, you get an
IDE drive with an extra chip to convert the ide interface to SATA.
Why bother ? The only real SATA drives are the Seagates, and they
have had their own problems with compatibility.

Then there's the problems with software that doesn't fully support
SATA boot drives too.

I'm going to wait until SATA is a LOT more mature than it is now.
Right now it's kind of an IQ test for computer geeks. (Just like most
of Intel's marketing schemes.)