Old September 13th 04, 02:43 PM
The Chief

888 wrote:
Hi all!

I've just built an AMD 64 system but still undecided whether to stick with
IDE or change to SATA hard drives. Say if I were to get SATA drives would
there be *different cable speeds for SATA cables* like IDE? ie, ATA 66 and
the stiffer ATA 100+ cables.

If so what are the standards?

Thanks!

The current speed for SATA is 150 mega-bits per second. 300 Mbps has
been approved and will be coming out sometime in the future. I haven't
seen any 300Mbps cables yet, but 150Mbps are readily available.

I went with SATA when I built my AMD 64 system and am very happy with
them. I have seen remarks from some people who were not pleased with
SATA. I guess there can be some contributing factors affecting how they
work in each system.

What MB did you go with?