Old October 15th 14, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Stumpy[_2_]

Default HP Photosmart B209a

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 10/15/2014 03:05 AM, Tony wrote:

My son bought a new, in the box HP Photosmart B209a for $10 at a garage
sale. The scanner works fine, the printer won't print using the black
546 cartridge unless the 3 color cartridges are installed. I have no
desire to buy color cartridges so I'm asking if there is a workaround.

HP obviously wants me to buy the ink. Even though I select Black Only
Greyscale in the HP Device Manager print settings, the documents just
sit in the queue. "Device busy"

If there is no workaround, then I have a very large, heavy scanner.

My understanding is that this printer uses a printhead with separate ink
cartridges.
The printer is therefore quite correctly designed to not operate if any
of the
cartridges are empty or missng.
This is to protect the printhead which would otherwise permanently fail.
Printheads need lubrication and/or cooling; this comes from the ink.
No workaround is possible without in depth and serious electronic skills.
There is no subterfuge in this approach by HP with whom I have no
affiliation.

Our OfficeJet 7135 has *separate* printheads for each color but
nevertheless will not print black if a whole set of working color
cartridges is not present -- and I haven't found any aftermarket
cartridges (#14) or anyone who will refill them.

Why would the color printheads need cooling if they are not activated (as
in printing only black)?

A distant relative by marriage who used to work for HP's printer division
said that they made a fortune out of the ink cartridges.

We just bought an Epson all-in-one that has refillable cartridges.

Perce

I am suspicious that it is mostly self interest that causes them to put in
that interlock.