Old September 22nd 03, 03:52 PM
John-Paul Stewart

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
wrote:

Hello. I just switched from a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 to an ATI Radeon
9800 PRO (AIW) recently. I got Windows drivers and applications working.
Tonight, I uninstalled NVIDIA driver to try ATI driver.

I was unable to get Linux drivers to set work correctly. I got the
desktop working, but I don't have 3D acceleration. OpenGL screen savers
and probably games (did not bother to check) are choppy.

[snip]

FYI. My Kernel 2.4.20 config is at
http://home.apu.edu/~philpi/temp/ant-kernel-ATI.txt in case I messed up in it.
Once it is resolved, I will delete it.

I notice in the config you've built-in DRM drivers for the Intel 810
chipset. ("CONFIG_DRM_I810=y" and "CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41=y") These
are built-in (not as modules) and may well be causing the conflict with
your ATI card. In the DRM section you only need "CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y".
Turn off everything else. (Or at least build as modules so you can
remove them, but you don't need anything else AFAIK.)