Old February 13th 07, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
[email protected]

Default Does USB "connector" = socket or plug or both?

On Feb 13, 9:07 am, Jon D wrote:
Can you explain the what the term "connector" refers to?

I would have *guessed* that "connector" refers to bothe the socket and
the plug.

But when I look at a chart of USB plug and socket dimensions
then I see "connector" being used to describe only the socket.

Seehttp://www.us-electronics.com/files/usbconnectors.pdf.

What is the correct usage of the term "connector" with respect to
computers?

Like others have said, the nomenclature depends on the application.
Your question is therefore unclear--what do you mean by "socket" and
"plug"?

For this application, find the answer to your question in chapter 6 of
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_05122006.zip
Connector is the generic term; it covers sockets, plugs, receptacles,
etc...

I've used "plug" to mean "the thing that is at the end of a cord", and
"receptacle" to mean "the thing that is mounted in the cabinet", and
"socket" to mean "something at your house, but we don't have any in
the plant".

Of course, when your electrician calls the thing in the cabinet a
"socket" you don't argue with him unless you never want to get any
work done again. Especially since he's probably been doing this for
forty years and will teach you many valuable things if you listen...