Old February 13th 07, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
Mike T.

Default Does USB "connector" = socket or plug or both?

"Jon D" wrote in message
Can you explain the what the term "connector" refers to?

I would have *guessed* that "connector" refers to bothe the socket and
the plug.

But when I look at a chart of USB plug and socket dimensions
then I see "connector" being used to describe only the socket.

See http://www.us-electronics.com/files/usbconnectors.pdf.

What is the correct usage of the term "connector" with respect to
computers?

The connector refers to the physical connection. In the case of USB
connectors, it refers to both the plug and the socket that the plug goes
into. If it's being used to refer to the socket only, it might be *assumed*
that the device you are going to use with it has the plug on it
lready. -Dave