Old June 10th 20, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jan Alter

Default Intel cooler gone all clingy, will not detach.

On 6/9/2020 11:45 AM, Patrick wrote:
On 09/06/2020 13:27, wrote:
A mainboard died, so I wished to salvage the i7 CPU therefrom. Has stock
Intel cooler. Can turn one of the locks 90 degrees, but the other 3 only
turn about 60 degrees, so can't pull them up. I have done this at least
100 times before.

I have no explanation but why not hack the pins off from below and
replace them with new ones?

ebay search = "Fastener Mount Pin For Intel Socket LGA 775 CPU
Heatsink Cooling Fan"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...at=0& _sop=12

I've had the same difficulty, not being able to turn the lock-down pins
all the way back. However, if I turn them about as far as I can and then
push down with one hand on the heat sink fan at the center, while
pulling on the pin with my other hand it releases. I do that for each
lock down pin.

JA