Old January 18th 19, 07:14 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default Lengthen the life of Windows 7 using the legal system

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:39:38 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 18:01:33 -0600, Char Jackson
wrote:

One might wonder what's obsolete about Windows 7, and who gets to make
the determination in the first place?

It certainly doesn't seem obsolete
to me. In fact, it seems to be much more functional and stable than 10,
although that opinion isn't universal.

I don't agree. In my experience, both Windows 7 and 10 are almost
completely stable. I don't remember any Windows 10 crashes here.

I wasn't referring to crashes. I was referring to having a stable
computing platform that can be counted on to be ready to go when the
user is ready to go. Clearly, Windows 10 misses that mark by a country
mile.

There's a segment of the computing public for which Windows 10 is just
fine. Within that segment, you have people who just don't know any
better, or people who use their computer for non-work activities who, at
the most, are only inconvenienced by the weaknesses of Windows 10. I
might say that they don't really care, or they've otherwise somehow come
to grips with the idea that this is just how it is and how it's going to
be. Kudos to that group, because they've made their lives a bit easier.

But there's another segment of the computing public who need more
platform stability, there's that word again, than Windows 10 can
deliver.

I can't say for sure, but I assume there will come a time, perhaps when
I'm in retirement, where the current behavior of Windows 10 would put me
into the first segment above, but at the moment, still being in the
workforce and needing a computer to do my work, I'm very clearly in the
second segment, where Windows 10 falls very short. Can MS get it to
where it needs to be? I think so, but it's been about a decade now since
they've tried to deliver an OS that does what I need, rather than what
they (MS) want for it. Their goals, and my goals, are slipping further
apart rather than getting closer.

Also in my experience, Windows 10 is just as functional as Windows 7.
Anything that can be done in Windows 7 can also be done in Window 10.

Some days that's true. Other days it's not. From that perspective,
things are much worse now than they were before Windows 10 came onto the
scene. When you're using a computer for work, there are lots of times
when you need it right now, not in 10 minutes or an hour, when it
decides it's ready to be available. You're retired, so maybe none of it
really matters to you. If the computer isn't ready to work, you can get
up and get a cup of coffee. You can go for a walk or run an errand. I,
and others like me who use a computer for work, don't have that luxury.

Fortunately, we still have options. For me, that's Windows 7 and a
highly customized Windows 8.1. Highly customized because it literally
took me two years to get Windows 8.1 tamed to where I could start to
depend on it. I could do it faster now, of course, but back then it was
new and people were in the midst of discovering and remediating the
various weaknesses and shortcomings. Now we're in the same situation
with Windows 10, but so far we're finding that the most egregious
behaviors have no easy remedies.