Old October 10th 05, 07:25 PM
Alex Blanco

Alex Blanco wrote:

Guy Macon wrote:

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote...

I found that a LOT of my hot-plug drives were updatable...but I can't
really swear that the updating made any noticable difference in
performance. Has anybody else updated their drives and found any
improvement that they can point out?

Disk Firmware updates were never (primarily) geared towards
performance improvements. They have been introduced to fix bugs and
modify alerting thresholds that come into play when using the Insight
Agents, CIM, or HPSIM.

In the past, I have seen lots (no as in, "a lot") of drives with the
same firware get update advisories for false failure notidifcaitons,
improper SMART thresholds, erronious error indicators, etc. They have
made noticable impacts in our CIM consoles, changing servers from
Yellow to Green by clearing impeding hard drive failure messages ....

So, there you have it.

The new firmware CD boots to linux, and when told to do an express
update, will search all the devices in your server. If there is an
update for any updateable component, you will be notified and given
the chance to update it. Its relatively painless.

Thanks! It can't be good having a bunch of drives in an array with
different firmware, and I suspect that my eBay bargain hunting got
me exactly that!

Well I'd like update as well. But I'm stuck at a bash# prompt. Where to
from here? Updating a 5500.

Sorry gang. Fixed the prob.