Old March 5th 06, 01:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default help on cloning Hard drive to upgrade drive size

hi

i cloned the 60g to the 100g
yes its windows xp sp2
yes i removed old drive before rebooting so only the new drive is in the
laptop

thanks

robin..

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
robin wrote:

i am having problems with upgrading disk drive size in my ibm laptop.

i have 60 gig & a new 100 gig unit i want to fit.

i have used maxblast & norton ghost 2003 to clone disk drive,

You dont need to use maxblast at all.

all files are bing copied from what i can tell.

however when i put new drive in bay it will not boot up, just get curser
flashing at me, no error message.

i have done a quick test in doing a restore of os onto new harddrive &
that works but i of course i cant take all my files/setting/programs with
me that way.

any suggestions please.

What was the physical config you used to copy to the new drive ?

Did you create an image file or did you just
clone the 60G drive to the 100G drive ?

What OS is on the drive ?

If you cloned the drive, its crucial to only boot the 100G drive
with just the 100G drive in the system for the first boot after
the clone has been done if its got XP on it. Otherwise XP
gets royally confused and you will get the result you got.