Old November 4th 04, 11:09 AM
kony

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:27:49 +0100, "Ronny Mandal"
wrote:

In fact I do not need it, I need performance.

So you are saying that two IDE in e.g. RAID 0 wil outperform the SCSI disk
in speed, besides storgae etc?

Speed at what, specifically? Will there be a lot of
multiple simultaneous I/O or a lot of random access like
with running OS or large database work or need for highest
sustained throughput? (pick one)

Will your work involve different source and destination
files of fair size like with video editing?

I wouldn't worry about power or heat too much. Well, they
are concerns but all that need be done is to have adequate
airflow and power, as with any other configuration.

Spin-up frequency effects all drives, not just the SCSI you
mention. For maximum life they should be kept spinning,
there is nothing unique about the mentioned drive that would
make it more (or less) problematic to turn system off or let
it sleep. Well, perhaps slightly worse for a higher RPM
drive, having higher stress to spin-up to higher RPM, but
relatively speaking the stress of that will impact any
drive.