Old November 6th 04, 05:55 PM
Lachoneus

Get a better CPU though. You'll need at least a 2.6-3.0ghz P4 before
you start noticing the differences a video card will make. That said
however, a 9600Pro does "more" for a low end system than an equivalent
NVIDIA model.

Is this laptop going to be strictly a desktop replacement machine? I'd
go Centrino before P4 if battery life/heat generation is important to
you. Raw CPU speed is overrated; it's only part of the picture, and
most new systems mate a fast CPU to a mediocre system (because GHz
sells, thanks Intel) when money would be better spent building a good
balance.

My laptop has an XP1800+ and an ATI 320M graphics chip (equivalent to a
Radeon 7000). It scores 1612 on 3DMark2001.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6529082

Just for kicks, I dropped my old Ti4200 into a much older Pentium II
300MHz machine and ran 3DMark on that. It beats my laptop by over 60%,
scoring 2639.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8228642

I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove. Other than don't skimp on
the video.

/ramble