Old November 6th 04, 02:33 PM
J. Clarke

Sharp wrote:

Hi

Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?

64MB DDR nVidiaŽ GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X

or

128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also,
can you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?

Yes, I realise these a mobile graphics, but im considering this as part of
buying a notebook.

There's no real comparison between a 5200 and a 9600 Mobility, which I
presume are the alternatives. If it's a 1.6 GHz Centrino assume the
preformance of a much faster desktop P4--Intel looks like they're going to
have to go to the same "P-rating" scheme as AMD pretty soon--the Centrinos
are very efficient processors, giving much better performance than their
clock speed would suggest.

By the way, the 9600 Mobility is itself a very good overclocker I
understand.

Cheers
Michael

--