Old November 6th 04, 03:50 PM
deimos

Sharp wrote:
Hi

Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?

64MB DDR nVidiaŽ GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X

or

128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also, can
you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?

Yes, I realise these a mobile graphics, but im considering this as part of
buying a notebook.

Cheers
Michael

A totally unfair match, the 9600Pro will blow it out of the water and
**** on the 5200. They are extremely different cards.

A good match for the 9600Pro is a 5700. A 5700 Ultra GDDR3 can beat it
handily. But the 5700U was never a mobile chip, so a 6100/6200 GO would
be the closest match.

Get a better CPU though. You'll need at least a 2.6-3.0ghz P4 before
you start noticing the differences a video card will make. That said
however, a 9600Pro does "more" for a low end system than an equivalent
NVIDIA model.

While the Centrino P4-M's (acually a Pentium-M I believe) are VERY good
clock for clock compared to a generic P4, you will need something better
if you're serious about mobile gaming. Still, go for the 9600.