Old November 6th 04, 02:15 PM
Lachoneus

Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?

64MB DDR nVidiaŽ GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X

or

128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also, can
you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?

You can't easily overclock much of anything in a notebook (without
setting fire to your lap, anyway).

Also, I don't think a 1.6GHz Pentium-M (Centrino) is slow enough to
bottleneck a 9600 Pro. I haven't seen direct benchmarks, but the P-M at
1.6GHz is probably faster than a P4 at 2.4GHz.

What resolution will your laptop's display run at? If it's high (above
1024x768), get the 9600 Pro. Otherwise, get the 9600 Pro anyway. You
can't usually upgrade laptop graphics, so get something that will last.
(Unless you don't plan on playing games on your laptop, then get
whatever's cheap.)