Old May 15th 04, 02:22 PM

On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:06:54 -0400, Cyde Weys wrote:

You can get Silicon Image cards and maybe some other types fairly
cheap on ebay. One of the few things I fell relatively confident about
getting on Ebay.

One thing about the add on card. Ive used one in the past with no
problems but recently used one with my Asus a7n8x deluxe since it only
has two IDE channels - the other is SATA. I generally run several HDs
and several CDand dvd drives.

So I got this Maxtor/Promise card with my 200 gig Maxtor.
Unfortuantely it seemed to hog the bus and I got lots of stuttering in
the sound. Horrendous. No matter where I moved the cards around. I
tried everything. Maybe theres another fix for it that can cure it but
I ended up taking it out and buying Sata converters for my IDE drives.
Unfortunately the SATA connections only take one drive each so I can
only have 6 devices total hooked up.

Why do you need THAT much storage online immediately?
I have 200 + 120 now - I got rid of all my smaller HDs and I dont get
anywhere near filling them up for stuff I need immediately and I have
tons and tons and tons and tons of stuff. You can store it on DVDs.
Right now its true Im topped up - Im close to filled but thats because
I get incredibly lazy and just let things pile up. If I really cleaned
up junk I dont need immediately probably 200 gigs would be cleared off
easy.

The external hard disk sound attractive though. I bought a WD 40 gig
for the hell of it since it was rebate sale and am actually using it
to store stuff on but I have to plug and unplug it on an IDE cable
though.