Old July 24th 04, 04:27 PM
kony

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:26:52 -0400, Trent©
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:19:25 GMT, "Kevin Altizer"
wrote:

Pen, I have used both methods you described in earlier posts at least five
times. I wish I could get a windows install box! Even that would be
progress. The Lexmark software will NOT install without the printer being
connected! I tried deleting all usb entries in device mgr. again. I'm
going to try some other things, I will post my progress.

Recapping (correct me if I'm wrong)...

USB ports work (camera works)

Printer works. Power to the printer comes on...and I'm assuming the
power for the printer is somehow from a wall plug...not just USB
driven.

There's a key point we might need to recheck...
Does printer work?
Maybe it does and I overlooked it?
Must get more sleep.

Make sure the printer is online.

If all sounds okay, I'd guess that you simply need to install the
printer driver. Go to Add New Printer...and use the driver that
originally came with the printer if you have it.

If I remember 98 correctly, you don't even need the printer connected
to add the printer. Just do the install...then reboot.

Good ole winprinters often need to find printer while installing
software/driver.

I do recall needing to enable legacy USB setting on one system to
get an HP to work, and on a different system I just gave up and
used a parallel connection instead, which was the better choice
anyway but user didn't have a parallel cord and me with enough
that I could supply them as jumpropes to kids in the
neighborhood.

If you have any optical drives, re-letter them to the end of the
alphabet...R for ROM, W for Writer. This will head off any possible
drive letter conflicts later on.

But whatever will I call my Ramdrive?