Old July 24th 04, 01:19 PM
Kevin Altizer

Pen, I have used both methods you described in earlier posts at least five
times. I wish I could get a windows install box! Even that would be
progress. The Lexmark software will NOT install without the printer being
connected! I tried deleting all usb entries in device mgr. again. I'm
going to try some other things, I will post my progress.
"Pen" wrote in message
Did you do the printer install as I described in my earlier post.
The printer installs you described will NOT work RTFM.

"Kevin Altizer" wrote in message
r.com...
Thanks for all your replies. I have a Fuji digital camera that

shows up as
a portable storage device and it uploads perfectly through all

four usb
ports. And no, the generic usb port does not have an

exclamation mark
beside it. I got the virus, SomeFool.p, so I just restored the

machine
again. I've restored it several times in the past year. The

printer has
not worked since that restore. I've even restored again. The

BIOS upgrade
is the same one that I did over a year ago. I did it again

anyway. The
people at Compaq told me to do the scanreg /fix. I've already

tried the
delete the usb ports and reboot letting the machine find them,

but I'll try
again.

Here's a point I'd like to make; If I restore the machine, put

the BIOS in
a configuration that worked before and updated the chipset

drivers,
shouldn't it work? I mean if the camera works, the darn

printer should,
looks like to me. Maybe the legacy thing in the BIOS needs

deleted...?

"Kevin Altizer" wrote in message
.com...
Computer: Compaq k6 amd 533 mhz 128 ram win98se
Printer: Lexmark X1150 All -in- One

I bought the printer, it worked fine for several months. Got

a virus,
restored my machine, which I've done several times. I've

updated the BIOS
ROM, updated the USB drivers, ran scanreg / fix and fixed

registry. The
computer does not see the printer. I tested the printer and

cable on
another machine, worked fine.

When I power the printer up, plug in the usb cable, I get an

extra usb hub
listed in device mgr. under usb controllers. I already have

four there,
two
USB Root Hubs and two VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB hubs. The

extra one that
comes up when the printer is plugged in is a Generic USB Hub.

I've tried
right-clicking this and updating the driver with the lexmark

cd, didn't
help. I've tried add printer from control panel. When

trying that way, I
get to the port dialog box and it shows an online printer

port, a print to
file entry, and the LPT1 printer port, and also the COM1

port, but no USB
port. I've done the live chat thing with compaq with about

five different
people. They've given up. The person that has a positive

solution for
this
printer/computer problem deserves a silver star medal.

Any takers?
tia kevin