Old July 24th 04, 06:08 AM
kony

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:17:46 GMT, "Kevin Altizer"
wrote:

Thanks for all your replies. I have a Fuji digital camera that shows up as
a portable storage device and it uploads perfectly through all four usb
ports. And no, the generic usb port does not have an exclamation mark
beside it. I got the virus, SomeFool.p, so I just restored the machine
again. I've restored it several times in the past year. The printer has
not worked since that restore. I've even restored again. The BIOS upgrade
is the same one that I did over a year ago. I did it again anyway. The
people at Compaq told me to do the scanreg /fix. I've already tried the
delete the usb ports and reboot letting the machine find them, but I'll try
again.

Here's a point I'd like to make; If I restore the machine, put the BIOS in
a configuration that worked before and updated the chipset drivers,
shouldn't it work? I mean if the camera works, the darn printer should,
looks like to me. Maybe the legacy thing in the BIOS needs deleted...?

If same bios version is used as previously worked, system is
restored to how it worked previously, and same drivers were used,
i'd suspect a low 5VSB, that you now have more USB devices
attached and the motherboard's jumper is set to "power on by
keyboard/mouse". If it is set this way, set jumper back to 5V,
non-powered on, not 5VSB.

I don't know what you mean by "legacy thing in the BIOS needs
deleted". If you have it set to enabled and it's not working,
you could try disabled, but of the two (enabled/disabled) odds
are higher that it'd need enabled than that it'd need disabled.

Recheck all bios settings... just because you reflashed same bios
version doesn't mean same settings are saved to nvram.

There are entire websites devoted to usb issues, you might follow
their procedures,
http://www.usbman.com/
and do Google Groups search for that particular (and other
similar) printer.