Old January 5th 05, 01:21 AM
GB

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...
In article , ,
a.k.a GB says...

"Venom" wrote in message
Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.

Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built
than
the price at which I can buy the parts.

20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine goes
down is worth it is it?

Maybe not. We'll see. My experience is that PCs don't break very often.
Actually, I'll rephrase that. The PCs at the office never break. The PCs at
home (which the kids use) seem to break rather a lot.

When there is a problem, it tends to be one of the moving bits such as the
hard disks, which are completely standard on these Dell machines.

In fact, these were very cheap system boxes - under 200 Pounds including
VAT. The component cost would be about 250 Pounds. However, there's also my
time to build up and test the systems if I bought the bits - worth say
another 50 Pounds per computer.

"But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say

For what Dell charge? You must be joking! :-)

What I do have is several systems that are the same. There's one system box
that is only occasionally used and could be cannibalised for parts if
necessary.